The treatment and management of periodontal disease involves lifestyle changes, medications, other treatments, alternative and complementary therapies, and possibly surgery.
The goals of treatment of periodontal disease include:
- Controlling the underlying infection
- Halting destruction of the gums, tissues, and bones that support your teeth
- Avoiding potential tooth loss
Your dentist may need to refer you to a specialist in the treatment of gum disease, called a periodontist.
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatments
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -