Thyroid hormone supplements are primarily used to treat hypothyroidism , a condition caused by deficient secretion of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland. Forms of thyroid hormone include:
- Dextrothyroxine (Choloxin)
- Levothyroxine (Levoid, Levothroid, Levoxine, Levoxyl, Synthroid)
- Liothyronine (Cytomel, Triostat)
- Liotrix (Euthroid, Thyrolar)
- Thyroglobulin (Proloid)
- Thyroid (Armour Thyroid)
It is thought that calcium combines with thyroid hormone, thus reducing its absorption.
To prevent this interaction, take thyroid hormone and calcium supplements as far apart as possible.
To prevent a problem, take iron supplements and thyroid hormones as far apart as possible.
Based on these findings, individuals with impaired thyroid function should use soy (such as, soybeans, soy milk, tofu) with caution.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/18/2014 -