(Cutting Adhesions; Adhesiolysis)
|Laparoscopic Cutting of Bowel Adhesions|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Obstruction of the bowel
- Injury to organs
- Worse adhesions
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Blood and urine tests
- Imaging tests will be used to look for adhesions and complications from them:
- Talk to your doctor about your medications. You may be asked to stop taking some medications up to 1 week before the procedure.
- Arrange for a ride home from the hospital. Also, arrange for someone to help you at home.
- Eat a light meal the night before the surgery. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding your healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incision
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the incision site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you have been given
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
- Diarrhea, constipation, bloody stool, or black stool
- Abdominal swelling
- Trouble urinating
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
American College of Surgeons http://www.facs.org
International Adhesions Society http://www.adhesions.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Healthy U http://www.healthyalberta.com
Dunker MS, Bemelman WA, et al. Long-term outcomes and quality of life after laparoscopic adhesiolysis for chronic abdominal pain. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 2004;11:36-41.
Lamvu G, Tu F, et al. The role of laparoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions associated with chronic pelvic pain. Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 2004;31:619-630.
Szomstein S, Lo Menzo E, et al. Laparoscopic lysis of adhesions. World J Surg. 2006;30(4):535-540.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -