(Polysomnogram; Overnight Sleep Study; Rapid Eye Movement Studies)
Reasons for Test
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Wash your hair, but do not use any sprays, oils, or conditioners.
- Eat a normal dinner the night of the test.
- Do not drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages or take any sleeping aids before the test.
- Bring any medications you are taking. When making the appointment for the sleep study, ask if you should keep taking your medications in the days before the test.
- Bring comfortable pajamas and a bathrobe to wear.
Description of Test
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
American Academy of Sleep Medicine http://www.aasmnet.org
National Sleep Foundation http://www.sleepfoundation.org
Better Sleep Council Canada http://www.bettersleep.ca
Canadian Sleep Society http://www.canadiansleepsociety.ca
Polysomnography. Boston Children’s Hospital website. Available at: http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1468/mainpageS1468P0.html. Accessed August 5, 2013.
Polysomnography. KU Medical Center website. Available at: http://classes.kumc.edu/cahe/respcared/cybercas/sleepapnea/trenpoly.html. Accessed August 5, 2013.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -