Reasons for Procedure
|Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Damage to nerves
- Infection at the vein harvesting site
- Chronic disease such as diabetes or obesity
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners, such as clopidogrel (Plavix) or warfarin (Coumadin)
- Statins or cholesterol medicine
- Certain medicines for diabetes
Description of Procedure
Immediately After the Harvesting
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incisions
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the incision site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
- Any changes of color in your leg, or if your leg becomes cold, numb, or tingly
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Dizziness or weakness
- Calves that are red, swollen, or warm to the touch
Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Southern California http://www.cts.usc.edu
The Cardiothoracic Surgery Network http://www.ctsnet.org
Mount Sinai Hospital, Canada http://www.mtsinai.on.ca
University of Ottawa Heart Institute http://www.ottawaheart.ca
Bitondo JM, Daggett WM, et al. Endoscopic versus open saphenous vein harvest: a comparison of postoperative wound complications. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002 Feb;73:523-528.
Mid-Atlantic Surgical Associates website. Available at: http://www.heartsurgeons.com. Accessed September 1, 2005.
Mini invasive technique for saphenous vein harvesting. Laparoscopy.com website. Available at: http://www.laparoscopy.com/pictures/vaso.html. Accessed September 1, 2005.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med . 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/27/2014 -