Here's Why Grains Are Good:
- Bran—contains large amounts of B vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- Endosperm—houses most of the protein and carbohydrate and small amounts of vitamins and minerals
- Germ—contains B vitamins, minerals, and some protein
Here's How to Get Your Grains:
- 1 cup flaked cereal
- ½ cup of cooked oatmeal, grits, or cream-of-wheat cereal
- ¼ cup nugget or bud-type cereal
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 pancake or waffle, 4 inch diameter
- ½ English muffin, hamburger roll, pita, or bagel (frozen kind; those from bagel shops can be up to 4 servings)
- 1 slice of bread or dinner roll
- 1 tortilla, 6 inch diameter
- ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or barley
- ½ cup quinoa, bulgur, millet, or other whole grain
- ½ cup pretzels
- 3-4 small crackers
Finding the Whole Grain
- Whole wheat
- Brown rice
- Some cold breakfast cereals (eg, Cheerios, Granola or muesli, Grape-Nuts, Raisin Bran, Shredded Wheat, Total, Wheat germ, Wheaties)
- Some hot breakfast cereals (eg, Oat Bran, oatmeal, Roman Meal, Wheatena)
- Some crackers (eg, Triscuits, Ak-Mak)
American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org/
US Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
Canada's Food Guide http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca/
Dash diet. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://ebscohost/dynamed. Updated August 26, 2011. Accessed June 2, 2012.
Food groups: How many grain foods are needed daily? USDA's MyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains%5Famount%5Ftable.html. Accessed Updated June 4, 2011. June 12, 2012.
Food groups: What counts as an ounce equivalent of grains? USDA's MyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains%5Fcounts%5Ftable.html. Accessed Updated June 4, 2011. June 12, 2012.
Whole grains. United States Department of Agriculture website. Available at: http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/resource-library/whole-grains. Accessed June 2, 2012.
Whole grains and fiber. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Whole-Grains-and-Fiber%5FUCM%5F303249%5FArticle.jsp. Updated January 24, 2011. Accessed June 2, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2012 -
- Update Date: 06/12/2012 -