|Cancer of the Tongue|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Smoking cigarettes, cigars, or a pipe
- Use of chewing tobacco, snuff, or other tobacco products
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Poor oral and dental hygiene
- Irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth due to smoking and drinking
- History of mouth ulcers
- Family history
- A lesion, lump, or ulcer on the tongue
- Difficulty swallowing
- Mouth sores and mouth pain
- Numbness or difficulty moving the tongue
- Change in speech due to inability to move the tongue over the teeth when speaking
- Pain when chewing and speaking
- Bleeding from the tongue
- Your tongue tissue may need to be tested. This can be done with biopsy.
- Images may need to be taken. This can be done with:
Rehabilitation and Follow-Up
- Therapy to improve tongue movement, chewing, and swallowing
- Speech therapy, if use of the tongue is affected
- Close monitoring of your mouth, throat, esophagus, and lungs to see if the cancer has come back or spread
- Don't smoke or use tobacco products. If you do smoke or use tobacco products, talk to your doctor about how you can quit.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Moderate drinking is a maximum of 2 drinks per day for men and a maximum of 1 drink per day for women.
- See your doctor regularly for check-ups and cancer screening exams.
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
National Cancer Institute http://www.cancer.gov
BC Cancer Agency http://www.bccancer.bc.ca
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Head and neck cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 16, 2013. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Head and neck cancer—for patients. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Tongue cancer. Cancer Research UK website. Available at: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/tongue-cancer. Accessed April 30, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/18/2013 -