(IC; Painful Bladder Syndrome)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- An autoimmune response that occurs following a bacterial infection of the bladder
- A leaky inner lining of the bladder that allows irritating substances in the urine to come into contact with the bladder wall
- Urgent need to urinate.
- Frequent need to urinate several times a day.
- Discomfort, pain, or pressure in the bladder or pelvic area when the bladder is full, and relief when the bladder is emptied.
- Pain during and after intercourse or during orgasms
- Blood in the urine
- Pain in the vulva or vagina in women, or in the testes, groin, or tip of penis in men
- Pentosan polysulfate sodium
- Pain relievers
- Artificial sweeteners
- Acidic foods
- Carbonated beverages
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Ulcer fulguration—Instruments inserted through the urethra are used to burn ulcers with electricity or laser
- Ulcer removal—Instruments inserted through the urethra are used to cut out ulcers
- Bladder augmentation—A segment of bowel is used to increase the capacity of the bladder
- Cystectomy—Removal of the entire bladder
Interstitial Cystitis Association http://www.ichelp.com
Interstitial Cystitis Network & Overactive Bladder http://www.ic-network.com
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
Interstitial cystitis. American Urological Association Foundation. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=67 . Updated March 2013. Accessed April 18, 2013.
Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/interstitialcystitis/index.aspx . Updated June 29, 2012. Accessed April 18, 2013.
Offiah I, McMahon SB, O'Reilly BA. Interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: diagnosis and management. Int Urogynecol J . 2013 [epub ahead of print].
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/24/2013 -