- Usually affects specific areas
- Has no known cause
- Usually affects the entire body
- Caused by an underlying condition
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- High emotional states, such as intense sadness, fear, anger, or stress
- Spicy foods
- Hot climates
- Certain medications
- Excessive sweating of palms of the hands and/or soles of the feet
- Excessive sweating of the armpits
- Increased amount of sweating
- Change in pattern of sweating
- Change in the odor associated with sweating
- Stained clothing
- Frequent clothing changes
- Careful washing
- Aluminum chloride hexahydrate
- Aluminum tetrachloride
- Formalin compresses
- Glutaraldehyde compresses
- Iontophoresis (stimulation with electrical current)—needs to be repeated on a daily or weekly basis, eventually tapering off to every 1-2 weeks; may be used if prescription antiperspirants fail
- Beta blockers
- Calcium channel blockers
- Endoscopic thoracic or lumbar sympathectomy—the destruction of nerves that stimulate sweating
- Curettage—local removal of sweat glands via surgical scraping
- Liposuction techniques
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.familydoctor.org
International Hyperhidrosis Society http://www.sweathelp.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Baumgartner FJ. Surgical approaches and techniques in the management of severe hyperhidrosis. Thorac Surg Clin. 2008;18(2):167-181.
Commons GW, Lim AF. Treatment of Axillary Hyperhidrosis/Bromidrosis Using VASER Ultrasound. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009 Jan 3.
Local injection of botulinum toxin A for palmar hyperhidrosis: usefulness and efficacy in relation to severity. Yamashita N, Shimizu H, Kawada M, Yanagishita T, Watanabe D, Tamada Y, Matsumoto Y. J Dermatol. 2008;35(6):325-329.
Saenz JW, Sams RW 2nd, et al. FPIN's clinical inquiries. Treatment of hyperhidrosis. Am Fam Physician. 2011;83(4):465-466.
Solish N, Bertucci V, et al. A comprehensive approach to the recognition, diagnosis, and severity-based treatment of focal hyperhidrosis: recommendations of the Canadian Hyperhidrosis Advisory Committee. Dermatol Surg. 2007;33(8):908–923.
Treatment of hyperhidrosis. Dermatologic Clinics. 1998 Oct.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 01/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/17/2014 -