Eating Eggs Again
Understanding Nature's Design
Learning About Cage-free, Range-free, and Organic Eggs
- Cage-free eggs are from birds that are maintained on the floor of a poultry house or barn, but are not allowed to roam free outdoors. Due to poor weather and climate, they may not have any access at all to outside areas.
- Free-range eggs are typically from birds allowed to go outdoors in the day and are housed inside at night for protection.
- Organic eggs are from hens fed rations formulated from ingredients free of herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, and commercial fertilizers. Higher production costs and lower volume of eggs per farm drives the price of organic eggs higher than that of the standard egg.
Getting the Scoop on Designer Eggs
Egg facts and fun. American Egg Board website. Available at: http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/p/production. Accessed October 8, 2013.
Egg industry fact sheets. American Egg Board website. Available at: http://www.aeb.org/egg-industry/industry-facts/egg-industry-facts-sheet. Accessed October 8, 2013.
Egg nutrition facts. American Egg Board website. Available at: http://www.aeb.org/retailers/egg-nutrition-facts. Accessed October 8, 2013.
Eggs are now naturally lower in cholesterol. American Egg Board website. Available at: http://www.aebassets.org/news/pr/feb-2011-cracking-cholesterol/. Published February 8, 2011. Accessed October 8, 2013.
Health-saving ingredient substitutions. Fremont Area Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.famc.org/body.cfm?id=555696. Accessed October 8, 2013.
How do I follow a healthy diet? American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/How-Do-I-Follow-a-Healthy-Diet%5FUCM%5F308999%5FArticle.jsp. Updated February 8, 2013. . Accessed October 8, 2013.
Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, Rimm EB, et al. A prospective study of egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women. JAMA. 1999;28:1387-1394.
Omega-3 extra large eggs. Organic Valley website. Available at: http://www.organicvalley.coop/?id=147. Accessed October 8, 2013.
United States Department of Agriculture and United States Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th Edition, Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office, December 2010.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 10/2013 -
- Update Date: 10/08/2013 -