|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Evaluate the cause of bleeding in postmenopausal women
- Evaluate heavy menstrual bleeding or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Obtain a tissue sample to test for cancer or precancerous conditions
- Monitor the uterine lining in women on estrogen replacement therapy
- Help evaluate the cause of infertility or repeated miscarriages
- Damage to the uterus (rare)
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical and pelvic exam
- Blood tests
- Urine test
- Take a pain reliever one hour before the procedure
- Wear or bring a sanitary pad
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- Expect some cramping and bleeding. Use sanitary napkins. Do not use tampons.
Ask your doctor when you can resume:
- Using tampons
- Having sex
- Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions.
Call Your Doctor
- Excessive bleeding (more than your normal menstrual period or saturating a pad within one hour)
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Severe pain
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Nausea and/or vomiting
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
Abnormal uterine bleeding. Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/abnormal-uterine-bleeding.html. Updated February 2014. Accessed October 30, 2014.
Endometrial cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/endometrialcancer/index. Accessed October 30, 2014.
6/2/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ : Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -