- Pregnancy—Less than 10% of women develop postpartum thyroiditis. This condition is best described as hyperthyroidism that is followed by hypothyroidism. These women usually get better without treatment. Treatment is sometimes needed if this happens again. This condition can also happen with other causes of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
- A history of other autoimmune diseases, such as:
- Having received radiation to the thyroid tissue or the neck or chest
- Having had thyroid surgery in the past
- Pituitary gland disorders
Hypothyroidism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated November 12, 2013. Accessed November 25, 2013.
Hypothyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service website. Available at: http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/Hypothyroidism. Updated March 13, 2013. Accessed November 25, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/25/2013 -