Reasons for Procedure
- Birth defects
- Injuries to the kidney
- Kidney donation for a transplant
- Blood clots
- Damage to nearby organs
- Reactions to the anesthesia
- Leakage of urine from the remaining kidney tissue, if only part of the kidney is removed
- High blood pressure
- Chronic kidney disease
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners
Description of Procedure
|Kidneys, Ureters, and Renal Blood Vessels|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding your healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incision
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever or chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the incision site
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you have been given
- Difficulty urinating
- Sudden weakness
National Cancer Institute http://cancer.gov
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Andersen MH, Mathisen L, et al. Postoperative pain and convalescence in living kidney donors—laparoscopic versus open donor nephrectomy: a randomized study. Am J Transplant. 2006;6(6):1438-1443.
Bartlett ST, Schweitzer EJ. Laparoscopic living donor nephrectomy for kidney transplantation. Dialysis & Transplantation.1999;28(6):318-331.
Dunn MD, Portis AJ, et al. Laparoscopic versus open radical nephrectomy: a 9-year experience. J Urol. 2000;164(4):1153-1159.
Fabrizio MD, Ratner LE, et al. Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy. Johns Hopkins website. Available at http://urology.jhu.edu/surgical%5Ftechniques/nephrectomy/index.html. Accessed May 23, 2013.
Kidney cancer. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=24. Updated March 2013. Accessed May 23, 2013.
Park YH, Byun SS, et al. Comparison of hand-assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy with open radical nephrectomy for pT1-2 clear cell renal-cell carcinoma: a multi-institutional study. J Endourol. 2009;23(9):1485-1489.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 01/23/2014 -