(Premature Separation of Placenta; Ablatio Placentae; Abruptio Placentae)
- Premature delivery
- Fetal anemia
- Low birth weight
- Significant blood loss for the mother
- Fetal death
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Impaired formation and structure of the placenta
- Low oxygen levels inside the uterus
- Rupture of maternal artery or vein which causes bleeding behind the placental wall
- Injury to the abdomen from an accident or a fall
- Sudden decrease in the volume of the uterus, from significant loss of amniotic fluid or from the delivery of a first twin
- Vaginal bleeding
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Rapid contractions
- Soreness in the uterus
- Feeling faint
- Baby moving less
- Blood coagulation profile to determine how long it takes for your blood to clot
- Avoid taking drugs and smoking during pregnancy.
- Receive proper and regular prenatal care throughout the pregnancy.
- Promptly treat conditions, such as high blood pressure.
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
American Pregnancy Association http://www.americanpregnancy.org
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
Women's Health http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
Bleeding in pregnancy, placenta previa, placental abruption. Lucile-Packard Children's Hospital website. Available at: http://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=bleeding-in-pregnancyplacenta-previaplacental-abruption-90-P02437. Accessed June 5, 2013.
Neilson JP. Interventions for treating placental abruption. Cochrane Database for Syst Rev. 2003;(1):CD003247.
Placental abruption. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 14, 2013. Accessed June 5, 2013.
Placental abruption: Abruptio placentae. American Pregnancy Association website. Available at: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/placental-abruption. Updated November 2006. Accessed June 5, 2013.
Tikkanen M. Etiology, clinical manifestations, and prediction of placental abruption. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010;89(6):732-740.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm
- Review Date: 05/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -