- Over 50 years old
- With a weakened immune system
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fever and chills
- Muscle pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Eye inflammation (conjunctivitis)
- High fever
- Stiff neck
- Vision loss
- Severe muscle weakness
- What kind of symptoms you are experiencing
- Where you have been living or traveling to
- Whether you have been exposed to mosquitoes
- Pain relieving medicine
- Medicine to reduce nausea and vomiting
- Mechanical ventilation (breathing support)
- Medication to control seizures
- Medication to decrease brain swelling
- Avoid outdoor activities at dawn or dusk.
- Wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts when outdoors.
- Use an insect repellent with DEET.
- Repair screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering the house.
- Use proper mosquito netting at night. Look for netting treated with insecticide.
- Remove standing water to prevent mosquito breeding. Empty items like bird baths and gutters around your house.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
West Nile virus infection. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated February 1, 2013. Accessed May 21, 2013.
West Nile virus: what you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/wnv%5FfactSheet.htm . Updated September 12, 2012. Accessed May 21, 2013.
10/1/2013 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Reimer LJ, Thomsen EK, Tisch DJ, et al. Insecticidal bed nets and filariasis transmission in Papua New Guinea. N Eng J Med. 2013 Aug 22; 369(8):745-53.
- Reviewer: David L Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/13/2014 -