Forms of Massage
How Strong Is the Scientific Evidence for Massage Therapy?
Massage for Low Back Pain
Other Potential Uses of Massage
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
- Eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia
- Asthma in children
- Cystic fibrosis
- Mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety
- Iliotibial band pain—a form of tendonitis that can cause knee or hip pain
- Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- Migraine headaches
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Quitting smoking
- Spinal cord injury
- Cancer—symptoms associated with cancer and its treatment
How to Choose a Massage Therapist
American Massage Therapy Association http://www.amtamassage.org
Massage Therapy Foundation http://www.massagetherapyfoundation.org
Cherkin DC, Sherman KJ, et al. A comparison of the effects of 2 types of massage and usual care on chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Jul 5;155(1):1-9.
Furlan AD, Imamura M, et al. Massage for low-back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Oct 8;(4).
Massage therapy. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/biomedical-libraries/natural-alternative-treatments. Updated July 2012. Accessed January 17, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 01/2014 -
- Update Date: 01/17/2014 -