(Delayed Puberty; Delayed Sexual Maturation)
- Constitutional delay—some children simply take longer than their peers; they will catch up at some point
- Chromosomal abnormalities:
- Kallmann syndrome
- Hypopituitarism caused by infection, trauma , and central nervous system lesions
- Family history
- Underlying disease:
- Other factors:
|Complications From Cystic Fibrosis|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Symptoms in boys:
- Lack of testicular enlargement by age 14
- Lack of pubertal maturation by age 14
- Sex organs that don’t completely develop within 5 years after they started to develop
Symptoms in girls:
- Lack of breast development by age 13
- No breast tissue or pubic hair by the age of 14
- Lack of menstruation for five years or more after initial breast development
- Failure to menstruate by age 15-16
- MRI scan
- Pelvic ultrasound (female)
Sex Hormone Replacement
Family Doctor—The American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
About Kids Health—The Hospital for Sick Children http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Caring for Kids—Canadian Paediatric Society http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca
Blondell RD, Foster MB, et al. Disorders of puberty. Am Fam Physician. 1999;60(1):209-218.
Delayed puberty. American Academy of Pediatrics Healthy Children website. Available at: http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/gradeschool/puberty/Pages/Delayed-Puberty.aspx. Updated May 11, 2013. Accessed June 4, 2014.
Delayed puberty. Nemours Kid's Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual%5Fhealth/changing%5Fbody/delayed%5Fpuberty.html. Updated August 2011. Accessed June 4, 2014.
Female delayed puberty. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 15, 2013. Accessed June 4, 2014.
Male delayed puberty. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 7, 2012. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2015 -