|Bladder With Nerves, Female|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Nerve or spinal cord conditions present since birth (such as spina bifida or spinal cord tumor)
- Urinary incontinence
- Dribbling urine stream
- Straining during urination
- Inability to urinate (urinary retention)
- Overflow of urine from a full bladder
- Painful urination
- Bladder training—setting a regular schedule to empty your bladder and drinking less fluid
- Exercises to strengthen muscles around the bladder that help control urine flow
- Painless electrical stimulation to help the function of bladder muscles
- Removing part of the muscle that holds the bladder closed—This allows urine to flow out into a collection tube attached to the penis (for men only).
- Inserting a tube into an opening in the abdomen—This allows urine to flow out into a collection bag.
- Using tissue from the bowel to make the bladder larger
- Replacing the bladder with a pouch made from sections of the bowel or other tissue
- Inserting a small tube-like device, called a stent, into the bladder neck to allow urine to flow out.
National Association for Continence http://www.nafc.org
Urology Care Foundation http://www.urologyhealth.org
BC Health Guide http://www.bchealthguide.org
Canadian Spinal Research Organization http://www.csro.com
Morantz CA. ACOG guidelines on urinary incontinence in women. Am Fam Physician. 2000;72:175.
Nerve disease and bladder control. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/nervedisease/index.htm. Updated June 29, 2012. Accessed October 18, 2012.
Neurogenic bladder. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=9. Updated January 2011. Accessed October 18, 2012.
Scientific Committee of the First International Consultation on Incontinence. Assessment and treatment of urinary incontinence. Lancet. 2000;355:2153-2158.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/13/2014 -