- Droplets of moisture that are coughed or sneezed into the air by an infected person and breathed in by a non-infected person
- Personal items, such as tissues or drinking glasses, that have been used by an infected person
- Skin that is infected with diphtheria
- Having never been immunized against diphtheria
- Not having had a booster dose in the past ten years
- Having a compromised immune system
- Sore throat and painful swallowing
- Fever up to 103°F
- Gray covering on the back of the throat
- Cough, possibly a barking cough
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Skin infection
|Swollen Lymph Nodes|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Antitoxin injection
- Isolation and bedrest
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases http://www.niaid.nih.gov
Caring for Kids The Canadian Paediatric Society http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca
Diphtheria. Updated June 9, 2010. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Diphtheria. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Presentable Diseases. Centers for Disease Control website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/dip.html. Updated May 7, 2012. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Immunization schedules for persons aged 0-18 years—United States, 2014. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/child-adolescent.html. Updated May 14, 2014. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Td (tetanus, diphtheria) VIS. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/td.html. Updated February 4, 2014. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/tdap.html. Updated June 18, 2013. Accessed June 19, 2014.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 06/19/2014 -