Nectarines and almonds are a classic French combination and in this simple, but elegant dish they are prepared in a gratin. Essentially a thin, crepe-like batter is poured over the nuts and fruits, just enough to make a base that holds them together so they can be sliced. The fruit is dotted with butter, sprinkled with sugar, and baked until the batter sets. Serve this warm, accompanied by your favorite breakfast foods.
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Servings and Times
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 1.0
Ingredients and Preparation
- Preheat an oven to 425°F.
- Using 1 teaspoon of the butter, grease an 8- or 9-inch gratin dish or other shallow baking dish, then sprinkle it with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Arrange the fruit in the dish.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and salt and whisk together. When well-mixed, gradually whisk in the flour.
- Pour this cream-like batter over the fruit. Sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, butter, and almonds over the top.
- Bake until the batter is set, the butter melted, and the fruit cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.