Please expect to be in the center:
- Approx. 45 minutes for screening mammogram.
- Approx. 1-2 hours for a diagnostic exam (which may include ultrasound).
You will be asked to fill out a detailed patient history, including:
- Family history, previous mammograms or breast operations, skin abnormalities, hormonal usage and start and end (if applicable) of menstruation.
- Your scans will then be interpreted, and a report will be sent to your physician.
- Be sure to consult your physician concerning the results of your mammogram.
Preparing for Your Mammogram
To ensure that your mammogram results are accurate, we recommend:
- Avoid scheduling your mammogram procedure during the week before your menstrual period to avoid any breast swelling and tenderness.
- Bring original screenings of any mammograms you have had at other institutions in the last 5 years for the radiologist to compare with today's exam (results are delayed without prior screenings).
Day of Exam
- You may use an over the counter pain reliever (caffeine-free) 1 hour prior to your mammogram to lessen the discomfort.
- Wear a blouse or sweater, rather than a dress to make undressing easier. You will be given a gown to wear.
- Do not use deodorant, powder, perfume, creams or lotions on your underarms or breast area, because they leave a residue that may interfere with your mammogram results.
- The services of the radiologist will not appear on your hospital bill.
- The radiologist will send a separate bill.